English Language Proficiency Requirement
The UC Berkeley Graduate Division requires that all applicants who received their degrees from countries in which the primary official language is not English submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score.
To satisfy the English Language Proficiency Requirement applicants must fulfill one of the following:
1. Received a degree from a recognized institution in a country where the primary official language is English.
This requirement is not met by institutions from Bangladesh, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, Israel, the People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asian countries, most European countries, and countries in Africa in which English is not the official language.
US citizens who received their undergraduate degrees in these countries or regions also do not meet this requirement.
2. Completed at least one year of full-time coursework with a grade of B or better at a university located in the U.S., U.K., Australia, English-speaking Canada or Singapore.
However, the following courses do not fulfill this requirement:
- Courses in English as a Second Language.
- Courses conducted in a language other than English.
- Courses that will be completed after you apply.
- Courses of a nonacademic nature.
3. Have taken and met the score requirements for one of the following standardized tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Your most recent score must be at least 90 for the Internet-based test (iBT), at least 230 for the computer-based test (CBT), or at least 570 for the paper and pencil test (PBT). To have your exam results sent to Berkeley's Full-Time MBA Program, list institution code 4833 and department code 02.
- For Fall 2022 admission, we accept official scores only from exams taken on or after June 1, 2020. For detailed information please see: http://www.toefl.org
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): While TOEFL is preferred, you can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale. Send IELTS electronically from the testing center, no institution code is required. Our address for IELTS identification purposes is: University of California, Berkeley, Graduate Division, Sproul Hall Rm 318, MC 5900, Berkeley, CA 94720. Please do not mail any score reports.
- For Fall 2022 admission, we accept official scores only from exams taken on or after June 1, 2020. For detailed information please see: http://www.ielts.org/