English Language Proficiency Requirement
The UC Berkeley Graduate Division requires that all applicants who received their degrees from countries in which the primary official language is not English submit a TOEFL or IELTS test score.
To satisfy the English Language Proficiency Requirement applicants must fulfill one of the following:
1. Received a degree from a recognized institution in a country where the primary official language is English.
However, regardless of the language of instruction, degrees from the following countries or regions do not meet this requirement:
- Europe (non-U.K.)
- Latin America
- Middle East
- North Africa
- People's Republic of China
- Southeast Asia
US citizens who received their undergraduate degrees in these countries or regions also do not meet this requirement.
2. Completed at least one year of full-time coursework with a grade of B or better at a university located in the U.S., U.K., Australia, English-speaking Canada or Singapore.
However, the following courses do not fulfill this requirement:
- Courses in English as a Second Language.
- Courses conducted in a language other than English.
- Courses that will be completed after you apply.
- Courses of a nonacademic nature.
3. Have taken and met the score requirements for one of the following standardized tests:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Your most recent score must be at least 90 for the Internet-based test (iBT), at least 230 for the computer-based test (CBT), or at least 570 for the paper and pencil test (PBT). To have your exam results sent to Berkeley's Full-Time MBA Program, list institution code 4833 and department code 02.
- For Fall 2021 admission, we accept official scores only from exams taken on or after June 1, 2019. For detailed information please see: http://www.toefl.org
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): While TOEFL is preferred, you can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale.
- For Fall 2021 admission, we accept official scores only from exams taken on or after June 1, 2019. For detailed information please see: http://www.ielts.org/